The blogger could not find one comprehensive source of information on various BRT projects. Data is collected from various news stories in bits and pieces and have been organized for your review.
Mass transit systems are a necessity of big cities. All major, or most of smaller cities, have mass transit systems. Mass Transit System can be in the form of underground trains, on ground trains, Overhead rails, Light rails or Rapid Bus services. Underground train system is most while Rapid buss transit system is least expansive option. Similarly underground train project takes the most while Rapid Bus Transits systems take least time from scratch to start.
- The London Underground first opened as an “underground railway” in 1863
- Its first electrified underground line opened in 1890
- Beijing Subway is the world’s busiest and longest metro system
- New York City Subway has the largest number of stations
Though bigger cities in developed countries have mass transit system for several decades, its only during last decade or so that Pakistan started planning and building the same. Considering the economic challenges preference is on the least expansive i.e. Bus Rapid Transit Systems (BRTs)
Few interesting fcats about various BRTs in pakistan:
- 6 Pakistani cities have BRTs in operation or in construction
- First BRT started its operation in Lahore
- At a cost of US$ 20/km BRT for twin cities of Rawalpindi and Islamabad is among the most expansive in the works
- Collective population of 4 cities that have operational BRTs is less than the estimated total population of Karachi
- The largest city in Pakistan Karachi has its BRT under construction now for over 6 years
- Once, if it did, completed Karachi’s BRT will be the largest
Following is a comparison of various BRTs in Pakistan. The blogger could not find one comprehensive source of information on various BRT projects. Data is collected from various news stories in bits and pieces and have been organized for your review. That why you would see lots of columns empty which means that specific information about that a particular project was not available to the blogger.
|Feeder routes length (km)||68|
|Stops on Feeder routes||150|
|Buses on Feeder routes||200|
|From||Flasman Hotel, Rwl||Chamkani||BZU University||Multiple|
|To||Secretarite, Isb||Hayatabad Ph. V||Chowk Kumharan||Multiple|
|Started||Feb 10, 2013||Feb 28, 2014||Jan 24, 2017||Feb 25, 2016|
|Completed||Jun 30, 2015||Aug 13, 2020|
|Completion Time (months)||12||13|
|Project Cost (Rs. Billion)||29.7||44.8||70||28.5|
|Cost (US$ Million)||11.25/km||20/km|
|Buses – Made in||China||Turkey|
|Trip fare (Rs.)||20||20||20|
|No. of Buses||64||68||450||123|
|Daily ridership (000s)||130||135||95||350|
|Timing||6:25 am – 10:00 pm||6:25 am – 10:00 pm|
|Bus frequency||3 minutes|
|Dedicated bus corridor|
|Bus scheduling system|
Note: If you like what you just read you can help more by:
- Subscribing – this way you will be notified anytime a new post gets made
- Sharing posts – this way you will spread the good words to more people
- Sharing ideas – this way you can give us your ideas/solutions for new blog
- Writing blog – this way you can actually contribute to this website and participate in the good work
Feel free to reach out to us for any questions, suggestions and/or areas for improvements.
August 25, 2020
The writer is a professional marketer and engineer with good work exposure to governments, and businesses and industries in the private sector in several countries. Idea is to take the first step in adding value to anything that one gets exposed to instead of just complaining about the same.