It is not the ability to make or produce that we lack, it is the ability to “Market” (please don’t read sell) and ability to “Export” not the ability to make or produce.
When living in an international multicultural metropolitan place, one comes across products and services from all over the world. There are very high-tech high-end products and there are simple and low-quality products. Some products are from rich, developed, and industrial countries while some are from poor and developing countries. One thing is common though. Everything sells. There is market for everything. And everything is profitable for those who deal in it i.e., sellers, distributors, importers, and manufacturers. These products are available as there is a market for them. Otherwise, why would someone import the same and why would a store owner put them on the shelves of their stores?
Sure, some products may be more profitable and fast selling than others but even the simplest and/or lowest quality products sell and are profitable.
The point I am trying to make is no matter what we make, if we can sell, it is good for business and good for economy. And if we can export the same it is even better for business and better for economy. So, Exports, when appropriate, should be target of each manufacture or producer.
- How did China achieve such great power and wealth – Exports
- Why does USA try to influence/control other countries – At the bottom of all political fluff, the bottom line is Exports and controlling their resources to support and increase their own exports
- How does a country become strong financially – By having strong foreign exchange reserves which are gained thru exports
Pakistan is a big country and produces and makes thousands of simple, small, and big and industrial goods. These products do good at home meaning they have a demand, are usable, are saleable hence can be exported too. There are tons of places that can afford but don’t have or make those products. Its our job to locate those places and export our products there.
I am sure many Pakistanis living abroad would agree that It is sad to observe products offered at various stores internationally that are not as competitive as Pakistani products in terms of quality and/or prices yet are selling as competing Pakistani products are not available.
It is not the ability to make or produce that we lack, it is the ability to “Market” (please don’t read sell) and ability to “Export” not the ability to make or produce. And to get these abilities we lack well-trained, motivated, and aggressive marketers. We may be sellers, but we need to be good marketers, specifically Export Marketers who utilize modern techniques such as digital and social media platforms.
On doing a quick google search on export marketing training opportunities in Pakistan not many places offering the same were returned.
Offering export marketing training provide:
- good business opportunity for the professional trainers, training institutes, colleges, and universities
- new employment opportunities for B2B marketers
- help business expand their current target markets
- address the long-felt business need, and
- support government’s initiatives to address external trade situation
A focused and concerted effort is needed by all above, and others, involved as under:
Export Promotion Bureau to:
- Lead and initiate the plan
- Bring all stake holders at the table
- Document, monitor and coordinate the effort
- Coordinate with Export Trade bodies to align all efforts in one direction
- Align with industry needs
- Align with Foreign Trade Missions to identify opportunities
Professional trainers, training institutes, colleges and universities need to:
- Create Export Marketing departments in their Marketing faculties
- Acquire experienced export marketing professionals as faculty members
- Design Export Marketing courses and trainings both for big and small businesses
- Make the trainings modern and practical
- Align their courses with the industry needs
- Offer the trainings /courses to individuals and industry
- Work with financial institutions for financing the studies
Business and industry leaders to:
- Identify their needs
- Provide their export market problems to be solved
- Provide industry insight as needed
- Provide internships and/or employment opportunities to the trainees
- Reap benefits of exports
All above offers huge benefits, does not require huge planning or investment outlay and collectively working we can do all above, or at least get started, in a short period of time
Note: The writer is a professional engineer and marketer who has good experience of B2B marketing, international trade, and export assistance with reputed private and government organizations.
If you like what you just read above, you can help more by:
- Subscribing – this way you will be notified anytime a new post gets made
- Sharing posts – this way you will spread the good words to more people
- Sharing your ideas – this way you can give us your ideas/solutions for new blog
- Writing blog – this way you can actually contribute to this website and participate in the good work
Feel free to reach out to us for any questions, suggestions and/or areas for improvements.
May 18, 2022
The writer is a professional marketer and engineer with good work exposure to governments, and businesses and industries in the private sector in several countries. Idea is to take the first step in adding value to anything that one gets exposed to instead of just complaining about the same.